Teaching

December: Over the past two weeks I've worked with two individuals, one male and one female, both in their 60s, with little yoga experience. I went to work with them individually to teach restorative poses, but because of their interest in more active poses I added these to the list. It turned out both had similar issues that compromised freedom of movement: very tight and short hamstrings, lower back tightness and pain, a tendency toward kyphosis.

So I used similar approaches with each, including Uttanasana using a chair and blocks, ardho mukha svsasana on the wall, belt jacket, trikonasana on chair, supported bridge, modifies viparita karani, plus other restorative poses. I'm getting the picture that this may be a reliable prescription for many others who have not used their bodies truly in many years. I will need to look through my notes and books to find other especially useful accommodations.

What is memorable to me, and brings much satisfaction and joy, is their response to the practice. With one, who is dealing with a lot of back discomfort along with a cancer diagnosis, found the restorative poses brought, even if temporary. Then he later experessed a desire to do some more action poses. When, a few days later, he wanted to ask some follow-up details I was struck by the look on his face. What I saw was a real desire to learn, and I also saw a face that showed respect---for me! and what I could offer! Then, gratitude as well. Wow.

The second individual also conveyed much gratitude. Her response first was "Oh I am just so much more in my body now!" and then she noticed how much her lower back tension had cleared up...in fact she felt that perhaps she could hold off on some additional physical therapy if she could do this through practice.

The experience that I feel like I have something useful to offer people that reliably makes them feel better means a great deal to me and is gratifying. I am thankful. It feels like a ministry.

January: Assisted in a restorative yoga class on the Ithaca Commons. Three older ladies. I think they each had their own agenda and their own idea about what their practice should like and be. It was harder to assist than it was to teach on my own, because I wanted to respect the instructor's approach. But I would have included fewer poses. I also would have asked them to allow me to show the set up and demonstrate the pose before beginning, in order to reduce confusion, but even more so to discourage them from doing it "their own way." Earlier in teaching adho mukha against the wall, I wanted to emphasize release of the spine instead of focusing on the hamstrings. They were so focused on their hams that they were not in touch with their upper bodies. Later one woman turned a supported back bend into an unsupported supta baddha konasana. However, one woman was delighted with my help and said she felt so nurtured.  I will see if I can assist again. However I think even more so I'd like to teach or sub, and offer house calls.

Comments

Popular Posts